Saturday, October 23, 2010

Absinthe Salon

Address: 87 Albion Street, Surry Hills


Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

I had been looking forward to testing out Absinthe Salon having recently been turned back for not having a booking on a Friday night and my usual effort of smiling and trying to talk my way in didn’t pay off. So I booked for 4 and 2 weeks later my companions and I head down.

I had imagined that the bar would be full of Goths and Emo’s, so I wear black for the occasion. We arrive on a dark corner and ring the doorbell, they let us in, for a moment I feel like I am doing something illegal – which makes it that little bit more exciting. We are then led through the reception out to the back, where tables are scattered around the room, each one with a different absinthe ‘fountain’.

As the name would suggest the only thing on the menu is absinthe, a small selection from France, Switzerland, Germany and Spain is on offer, and with us all being novice absinthe drinkers we let the host decide on our selection.

Our drinks are poured and we are told to take a sugar cube, place it on the slotted spoon, slowly turn the fountain tap on and let the water drip until dissolved, I feel like I am taking part in some 19th century ritual.

For you singletons out there this could make a great first date location as if the conversation stalls you can always focus on the ‘ritual’ you are taking part in… and you are only allowed 3 drinks so if your night isn’t going as expected, just drink quickly and you can make an easy escape.

As with the drink itself the Absinthe Salon will not be for everyone, but as I’m not one for routine and love to try something new, I can definitely recommend a visit at least once.







Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale




See for yourself: www.absinthesalon.com.au

4 comments:

  1. A 3 drink limit... are you kidding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably wouldn't want anymore than 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I imagine the drinks limit is because they are so strong. A bit like the recommended limit on energy drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were there any lime-hued Kylie Minogue's fluttering around your head?

    ReplyDelete