Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kuleto’s cocktail bar

Address: 157 King Street, Newtown

Lychee Martini… yes please

I was given the perfect opportunity to promote my reviews (and myself) while recently attending a group dinner in Newtown, with a number of people who I hadn’t previously met. One lady, who is a local Newtonian, informs me that I should look at a few bars in the area. 

Not wanting to waste an opportunity, a small group of us walk up King St to Kuleto’s cocktail bar. Even though it’s quite late when we arrive the place is full, we quickly move up the stairs, past the huge lamp shades with massive long tassels and head straight to the bar.

As the ladies I'm with order their lychee sangria, the barman sighs and says “I’m sick of making these – I’ve been making them all night”. Buddy, here’s a tip for you – if you don’t like making cocktails, maybe you should reconsider working at a cocktail bar.

As I stand there hoping to get served by someone else, a martini is handed to the gentleman beside me, it looks good, I ask him what it is, it’s a lychee martini. I instantly close the cocktail menu (that I was actually only pretending to read anyway) as my decision has been made. It's an excellent choice.

If you’re looking for sophistication in a cocktail bar, with luxury lounges and scented candles then Kuleto’s is not for you. While the cocktails are good value, the atmosphere cheerful and sincere, it has a more shadowy after-hours appearance and in my opinion is in need of a little sprucing up.

But if you're strolling down King St after an evening out, I would still suggest taking a look inside, having a drink and embracing Kuleto’s.







Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale




See for yourself: www.kuletos.com.au

Kuleto's Cocktail Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment