Saturday, November 20, 2010

Doctor Pong

Address: 1a Burton St, Darlinghurst

Ping Pong + Cocktails + Hendrix + Heels = ?

When I first heard about Doctor Pong my initial thoughts were… ping pong, what the??? … well at least it was something different, so I grab a group of friends and head down after work to kick-off the weekend.

There’s a Doctor Pong in Berlin, but Sydney took the concept, made it larger and placed it in Darlinghurst. It has a lot of bare concrete and a ping pong table. I feel like I’m at an American house party – decks in the corner, beers served in solo cups. If only my American friends could have made it, they would have added to the atmosphere.

I order a pomegranate martini and later on white sangria, they both are a bit ordinary, I stick to bubbles for the evening.  The sound of Hendrix plays, then a trio of bongo drummers arrive, I'm taken back to a former life...

I quickly snap out of it when we get a turn at ping pong. I have always been a competitive person, even as a child my sisters and I would have competitions over everything, we realised it had gone too far when we were competing over who could eat a packet of chips the slowest and who could get ready for school the quickest (I won that one when I realised if I put my school uniform on before going to bed I would win – pure genius).

So when my companion and I head up to the ping pong table I picture us playing like we’re China’s Wang Hao and Zhang Yining, the winners of the 2009 World Championships… lets just say we're not.

So while my ping pong career has been short lived, my dreams of a world championship shattered and having endured quite ordinary cocktails, I must say I had an excellent evening. Doctor Pong is a great place to go with a group of your fun and fabulous friends to have a relaxed, enjoyable, and slightly competitive night out.







Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale




See for yourself: http://www.doctorpong.com.au/

Doctor Pong on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Need help Lotus Martini, got a friend from the Wops (ok, NZ) here next weekend and after too many white wine hangovers, red wine hangovers and champagne hangovers, she now only drinks cocktails. Where can we go for a good Sydney vibe, comfy seats and not ridiculously priced cocktails, oh and oozing cool and city chic'ness????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depending on what day you go I would recommend:

    Friday night - Zeta bar at the Hilton (drinks are a bit pricey, but there is a wide selection that you can't get anywhere else). Or Different Drummer in Glebe where you can get 2 for 1 cocktails from 6 - 7.30pm

    Saturday - Water Bar at the Blue Hotel in Woolloomooloo or Cruise bar at the overseas passenger terminal.

    Sunday - Gazebo Wine Garden Elizabeth Bay, a great chic place with fabulous sangria and laid back atmosphere. Great way to spend the afternoon

    ReplyDelete