Tuesday, November 23, 2010

District Dining

Address: 17 Randle St, Surry Hills


I know this place is a restaurant but it does have a small bar (and I did drink two cocktails while I was there) so I thought... may as well write about it.

The Sydney connoisseur of all things fancy suggests to a selected few that we should head out to lunch, as they are my ticket to all things fabulous I instantly knew I couldn’t refuse.

We jump into a taxi to make a quick escape (it's a work day after all) and head to Surry Hills. We arrive at a bistro style restaurant which is located close to Central Station, it’s apparently the new venture of Warren Turnbull, the chef of the two-hatted restaurant Assiette (I'm not what some may call a "foodie" so I don't particularly care about this fact).

While there is a large variety of tapas style share plates on the menu (which I must say are all fantastic), there is only a small selection of seasonal cocktails. I order the first one on the menu, the Pacific Princess, purely because it has all things I love; vodka, mint, lime, honey, apple and pomegranate juice. I wait in anticipation, the waiter approaches and as he picks up a glass from the tray to place it on our table, it falls, and six drinks spill all over him. I felt bad, I really hoped his day got better.

When round two of our drinks arrive I'm served my cocktail in a ceramic glass, which I'm sure could double as the holy grail in Indiana Jones... it wasn't for me, it tasted like cough medicine.  I get Peach Bellini envy as the friend I'm sitting next to enjoys their selection, I place my cough medicine to the side and order that... I'm glad I did, it's excellent.

While I'm no restaurant critic, I have been to my fair share and I must admit I have already placed my next reservation at District Dining.








Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale




See for yourself: www.districtdining.com.au

District Dining on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment