Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Grasshopper

Address: Temperance Lane, Sydney (off George St between King and Market, Next to RM Williams)


A welcome addition to Sydney's bar scene or just a noisy insect?

With Grasshopper recently being crowned the Best Small Bar in Australia, and a number of great reviews since its opening earlier this year, I thought it would be the perfect location to kick off my bar discovery. So I headed down with a couple of friends for a well deserved after work beverage.

We are greeted by a handsome staff member (points here ladies), who informs us that food is served upstairs and that there is only one beer (Peroni) available, as I am not a beer drinker this is of no real concern to me and my two friends also don’t seem to mind.

We head downstairs to the bar, past the crowds sitting outside on milk crates, I look around as I wait for my drink, I don’t mind that it is crowded, the staff are friendly and the quirky mismatched furniture adds character, however my opinion quickly turns as we are handed our drinks.

Now I tend to live my life with rules and mottos, usually my own set, one of these being “Everything taste better in nice glasses” (in my case preferably a champagne flute or martini glass) so being served a cocktail in a vegemite jar and bubbles in a plastic wine glass, while sitting on a milk crate in a small alley surrounded by rubbish bins may be enjoyable for some… it isn’t for me.

The bar is located down Temperance Lane, unseen from George St. This seems to be one of its better qualities, as being hidden down a narrow alleyway makes it ever so easy to stroll past and pretend it isn’t there.







Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale




See for yourself: http://www.thegrasshopper.com.au/

Grasshopper on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Awesome blog Lotus Flower, and fabulous concept. I'll look forward to more installments. You'll come out to the burb's though won't you. i'm sure our local bowlo does a mean martini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review Lotus Flower. With my limited amount of time (and leave passes) to be able to destroy myself on cocktails this is certainly a place you will not see me out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic Lotus Flower..just classic

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are no plastic wine glasses, only glass wine glasses.......

    Keep your pretty, pretentious ass at places like Ivy and Zeta bar honey - and If your gonna blog about bars, know your shit and get the facts!

    ReplyDelete