Sunday, June 5, 2011

Russell Wine Bar

Address: 143a George Street, Sydney

Is a stuffed peacock really necessary?

A couple of friends and I had arranged to catch-up after work, one of them isn't handling the cold weather very well (there from a country where very small bikinis are a year round option). Lucky for us I had just been informed of a new cosy wine bar in The Rocks. We brace the cold and head to Russell Wine Bar.

Two of us are seated on a bench table made from the wood of old wine boxes, order a glass of sparkling and wait for our friend.

The warm tones of the decor make for a cosy and relaxed drinking spot. The bar does have a random peacock theme to it though, with a feather pattern on the leather booth seats and even a stuffed peacock on the wall. Which I must say I was not impressed with.

The tunes are also interesting. Not that I mind Dolly Pardon's classic "working nine to five", I have fond memories of my sisters and I dancing to it (I'm pretty sure our routine included a briefcase. Can't remember for certain though... I was only 10), it just doesn't suit the bar.  

Our friend arrives and is impressed with the bar staff, apparently they asked them how their day had been (and actually seemed interested to find out). After a number of glasses we decide that we should eat and order a few dishes from their great tapa style menu.

While Russell Wine Bar is a convenient meeting place for after-work drinks, it will need to not only play tunes that suit a cosy bar, but also be careful not to fall into the tourist trap that many bars and restaurants succumb to in The Rocks.






Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale 




See for yourself: http://www.therussellwinebar.com.au/

The Russell Wine Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment