Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Owl House

Address: 97 Crown Street, Darlinghurst


Trying to find wisdom in the bottom of a glass

After getting my first ever parking fine (I only bought my car in January...it’s fabulous!) I went out with a friend to commiserate. I was annoyed. That $143 could have brought me a pair of shoes that were on sale.

We head to The Owl House. This restaurant and bar is situated in a small terrace on Crown Street near the corner of William. The place is busy and small, with a ten-seater bar taking up most of the space downstairs. The friendly barman informs my friend and I that there’s a spot for us on the balcony. We head up the steep terrace steps, through the restaurant with a mix of communal seating areas, to the small balcony that can seat four.

As I enjoy people watching I like our spot with the view of Crown Street, the Westfield Eiffel Tower and the guy dressed like Ali G... I don't think he was meaning to though.

I order a Green Martini (cucumber, wasabi, ginger puree, vanilla vodka and sake) I ask the waitress what it's like. Her response "it's interesting". My friend orders a gin and tonic... not so interesting. I take a sip. The verdict. A little too Japanese for my liking... still drinkable though.

For my next cocktail I ask the waitress for her recommendation. She tells me she like's tequila. Tequila isn't my friend. I ask her for her next favourite. Side Car (Hennessey VS cognac, Grand Marnier, lemon juice and sugar around the rim of the glass). While tasty and lemony, it's not as good (or sweet) as the lemon cocktail from Sub Solo.

If you’re after interesting cocktails, Asian fusion food, all in a small busy bar with friendly staff, then come along to The Owl House to find your words of wisdom. Mine... it's always wise to have cocktails on a Friday.


Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale 




See for yourself: www.theowlhouse.com.au

The Owl House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment