Friday, March 25, 2011

The Victoria Room

Address: 235 Victoria St, Darlinghurst

Mad Men & Martini's

A month ago I was made aware that the Victoria Room was going to be hosting a Mad Men soiree to celebrate the introduction of its martini trolley. I was so excited that as soon as I found out I gather a number of friends and lock in the date. The night finally arrives and we head out. As I also had a reason to celebrate we all knew we where in for an excellent evening.

As I had previous commitments a few friends arrive early to secure a spot in the bar. I’m glad they did as when I arrive the place is full. Someone recently informed me that the Victoria Room felt like the love child of a 1920’s gentleman club mixed with a Hong Kong opium den (not that I have been to either… obviously) and I can see what they’re talking about.

Tonight though has a 1960’s theme and I feel like I've stepped back in time as most people are in glamorous 1960’s style dresses and suits including the bar staff. It is fabulous!! When two of my friends arrive they are instantly photographed for the press. Jealous!

There is a 1960's vintage dress for sale in the corner and one of my friends insists that I try it on. So I do. It fits me like a glove so I strut out from the change room as my friends gasp in delight. I buy it. I like it so much I get them to remove the tag so I can wear it for the rest of the night. I too get photographed.

I choose a classic martini for my first drink (dirty & stirred) and it is brilliant. I later discover that there's cocktails named after the characters in the show. As anyone who knows me well knows I’m Joan Holloway's biggest fan (for style anyway), so when the Gibson Martini is made in her honour. I think… I will be having that.

Atmosphere is fabulous as everyone was there in honour of Mad Man and Martini’s. But I do wonder what it would be like on a quieter night.... guess I will have to come back and see.







Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale




See for yourself: www.thevictoriaroom.com


The Victoria Room on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment