Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Steel Bar & Grill

Address: 2/60 Carrington Street, Sydney



A civilised evening; wine, dinner and Sex in the City

The other evening a friend and I had planned to check out a few new bars in the city, but as we both had been out the night before we decide that we should have a quieter (and more civilised) evening. So we head out for a few cheeky beverages and dinner.

We make our way to Steel Bar and Grill. Steel is positioned in a surprisingly quiet corner of Sydney’s CBD not far from Wynard station. When you arrive it becomes evident on why the choice of name. Large solid steel and glass doors, stainless steel mesh and tiles, polished concrete walls and sprayed concrete ceiling… I know what your thinking, this place sounds like rubbish (cold, no atmosphere) somehow though it proves to create quite the cozy and relaxed environment.

As we didn’t have a booking, and the place is quite full, we are seated on the bench where we can see into the kitchen. My friend suggests that we sit at the dessert end, I don’t mind… who doesn’t like looking at chocolate.

The menus are handed to us, and I instantly like the place even more as I love the picture of the lady from the 1960’s in her steel bikini (I do wonder what I would look like in that).

As apparently “a change is as a good as a holiday” (though, I’ve never actually believed that… obviously the person who first said those “words of wisdom” must have been on some boring holidays) we decided to leave cocktails and champagne behind and go for a bottle of wine, we finish it over a wonderful dinner.

The bathrooms also deserve a mention, they are all steel and all three basins have a television playing girl movies, (not sure if the men’s play men movies... I didn't check it out so can't confirm). But you need to be careful… I left my friend for too long as I was too busy watching Sex in the City.







Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale




Steel Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment