Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Blu Bar on 36

Address: Level 36 Shangri-La hotel, 176 Cumberland Street, The Rocks

Cocktails with a carat

I had to seek my friends forgiveness after I realised I forgot their birthday, I've been busy (I know it's not really an excuse, it's just poor form), so I decide to take them to Blu Bar on 36 at the Shangri-La hotel.

This cocktail lounge is located high above the city with floor-to-ceiling windows offering stunning views of the Harbour Bridge, Opera House and Darling Harbour.

Even though I'm not one for routine I've always ordered the same cocktail here, I love the name and taste of this fine creation, Little Roses Garden Party. It has Belvedere Citrus, pomegranate liqueur, cranberry, lemongrass, a dash of rose syrup and my very own rose petal floating on top.

There is actually a cocktail here worth $10,000 but instead of getting your own rose petal, this one comes with your very own one-carat diamond. I've always wondered who would order it and if anyone has accidently swallowed it by mistake (it would make for an interesting story though of a marriage proposal gone wrong).

There's a slight issue with this bar - it operates with snail pace service, and if you're as impatient as I am it can be very frustrating sitting there trying to catch the eye of one of the waiters. It takes ages to get served and even longer to receive your cocktails. Also, while Blu Bar may offer some of the best views of the harbour, the lounge area is dated which makes it lose some of its appeal.

Slow service and bad furnishings aside, I've always felt relaxed coming here... I love the marvellous view and the cocktails.


Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale




See for yourself: http://www.36levelsabove.com.au/blubar/default-en.html

Blu Horizon Bar, Shangri-la Hotel on Urbanspoon





 

No comments:

Post a Comment