Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kudu Lounge

Address: 225 Victoria Street, Darlinghurst

Bartender Ben, my new best friend

After a successful week at work my friend and I where planning on going to Beach Haus in the Cross, we arrive to discover that it doesn't open until 8pm. As Kit & Kaboodle is also on my list of must visit places we head there. It's also closed (I really should have done some research before leaving the office).

Plan C was Kudu Lounge so we head to Victoria St, walk up the stairs into the bar.  At first I wasn’t impressed, but as we all know, one should never judge a book by its cover.

We take our seats in a comfortable corner lounge where we are handed our cocktail menus, which my friend looks through (I figure I will just order what they do). The barman walks over, introduces himself (his name’s Ben) and says “welcome to Kudu lounge, I will be looking after you this evening”.

Ben informs us that cocktails are just $10 until 9pm (my friend and I are thrilled as we actually arrived at 6, which allowed us to take full advantage of this offer). Ben asks us what we would like, I do my usual and say “I will have whatever you recommend”. He tells us to close the menus (mine was already closed) and asks us pick a flavour (we choose Pineapple) and then choose between sweet, sour and bitter. We wait in anticipation, not knowing what we will be getting, Ben comes back with a French Martini with a twist, it’s LOVELY.

We spend the rest of the evening letting him choose our drinks for us, with each one being different. Our last cocktail is his signature (apparently it made it in the 25 best cocktails in Australia last year) he brings all the ingredients and tools (which included a blow torch) to our table to make it in front of us. My friend and I take a sip and decide that it’s the best cocktail we’ve ever had... A big call I know, but one we are willing to make.

As we leave and say goodbye to Ben, he mentions he’s planning on setting up a cocktail bar in the inner west, potentially Glebe...FABULOUS!!!!






Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale





See for yourself: www.kudulounge.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment