Saturday, December 4, 2010

Honeysuckle Hotel

Address: Lee Wharf, Honeysuckle Drive, Newcastle Foreshore


Where French Martinis are not an option

I decide to escape from Sydney for the weekend and head to Newcastle to visit my sisters. As it isn't bikini weather we head out to lunch and make our way to the Newcastle foreshore and go to Honeysuckle Hotel.

I lived in Newcastle for a few years a long time ago and back then the foreshore was a strip of abandoned wharfs and buildings, basically an area where you wouldn't normally go. However over the last few years the area has been redeveloped into a waterfront playground with cafes, restaurants, bars, stunning apartments and a business park. The Honeysuckle Hotel is the latest addition to this precedent and is located in one of the converted wharfs.

We decide to sit outside where we can look out onto the water and the working port. My sisters and I head to the bar. I take a quick look at their cocktail menu, nothing takes my fancy so I ask the waiter "can you make French Martinis?" he responds "I can, if you tell me how to do it".... What?  Make them? I don't know, I just order them... I stick to a classic cosmopolitan instead.

The hotel has a homely, relaxed and friendly atmosphere, making it perfect for lunch with the family. There's a slight drama when someone has to leave, it involves tears, water spilling and food throwing, they are only 3 and 1.

My sisters and I sit by the water and finish our drinks, but we can't stay too long... apparently we need to go bikini shopping.






Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale




See for yourself: www.honeysucklehotel.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment