Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pocket Bar

Address: 13 Burton Street, Darlinghurst


Another Birthday. Another Bar

A belated birthday celebration was underway and 6 of us head to Pocket Bar; most of the group wanted to walk, but some shoes (or in my case most) aren’t made for walking, so a friend and I leave 15 minutes later and jump into a taxi.

We arrive on the corner of Crown and Burton st, open the wrought iron gates to the sounds of 70's funk and walk into a drinking den that is friendly, casual and effortlessly cool.

After securing our place on the retro couches we head to the glass top counter bar, it showcases random things; matchbooks, cards, and other knickknacks. It also doubles as a book shelf, which if you where inclined, would allow you to read the latest national geographic while sipping a martini. 

While I was waiting for my Rose Petal martini (which I need to highlight is a lot nicer than the one offered at Blu Bar on 36 in the Shangri-La hotel) I saw what I thought was an old typewriter, I instantly wanted to touch it. As I get closer I realise it's actually some form of old-school calculator. It lost its appeal. I still pretended to type on it though.

As I look at the pop art and bric-a-brac, that covers the walls of the bar, I notice that there's a grammatical error in one of the painted speech bubbles. For a second I considered letting one of the staff know. I didn't ... they have probably had it pointed out by other well meaning patrons countless times and I doubt they would care.  

After two excellent gibson martini’s and one of the bars delicious crepes, I call it a night. Pocket Bar is an excellent small bar. Lotus Martini will be back.







Martini rating: 1 – 5 scale





Pocket Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment